Ross County 3-0 Motherwell- Match Report

In-form County win again

Ross County stretched their unbeaten run to eight games with a dominant 3-0 victory against Motherwell at Global Energy Stadium.

After a slow start County went on to dominate the match with Ivan Sproule scoring his firth goal in as many starts to give the hosts the lead 11 minutes from the break.

Richard Brittain and Iain Vigurs struck after half-time to complete a fine second-half display from the home side.

Well had the opening chance of the match in the second minute when the visitors won the first corner. Nicky Law's delivery fell nicely for Michael Higdon but his shot from eight yards was cleared off the line by Vigurs.

The home side had the chance to test Well keeper Darren Randolph but, after Shaun Hutchinson carelessly gave the ball away, Vigurs over-hit his pass to Sam Morrow and the chance was lost.

County were almost in again a minute later when Morrow knocked down a long ball from Scott Boyd for Sproule, but he was crowded out before he could get a shot off.

Another chance went begging when Morrow got on the end of a deep cross from Mihael Kovacevic, yet this time Sproule fired well over from 12 yards.

It was one-way traffic and Brittain attempted a long-range shot which deflected behind for their first corner of the match.

County were in full flow and another chance came along in the 30th minute when Sproule did well to keep the ball from going over the touchline. His cross to the back post was knocked back by Vigurs for Rocco Quinn who forced a good save from Randolph.

However, the pressure paid off in the 34th minute when Quinn knocked the ball on for Sproule, who squeezed the ball past Randolph from a tight angle for his fifth goal in as many starts.

County continued to push forward and a snap shot from Morrow was deflected behind for another corner.

The visitors tried to hit back before the break and after a dangerous cross was cleared by Boyd, Hutchison headed over from a Law free-kick.

The visitors exerted pressure on the County goal early in the second half without creating any clear-cut openings. However, it was the home side who almost doubled their lead six minutes after the interval when Sproule just failed to put the finishing touches to a fast-flowing move involving Brittain, Morrow and Paul Lawson.

County were turning on the style and Sproule was almost in again a couple of minutes later after Vigurs threaded the ball through.

James McFadden was brought into the action in the 63rd minute when he replaced Stewart Carswell. The fans' favourite got a chance to shine within a couple of minutes when the visitors were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position but he blasted his effort into the wall.

County were doing most of the pressing now and they deservedly doubled their lead in the 71st minute when Morrow won the ball back in the middle of the park and when it broke to Sproule, he squared for Brittain who picked his spot from 15 yards.

The home side's dominance was complete when Vigurs volleyed home a Quinn cut back in the last minute.

Source: PA

Source: PA